Monday, June 4, 2012

John & Abigail Adams




 One of my favorite love movies to watch is Love Actually. Just the opening sequence of it makes me cry. All the people greeting each other at Heathrow with the voiceover from Hugh Grant that says:


 When the planes hit the Twin Towers, as far as I know none of the phone calls from the people on board were messages of hate or revenge - they were all messages of love

I realize that we only seem to make our communication count when everything is all wrong. Or we are truly saying goodbye. People often say that you are lucky if someone has passed away and you got to say all you wanted to say. 

I can tell you that I have had those opportunities to say all I wanted to but that doesn't bring peace when you continue to live life and there are new things to tell the person you miss so much.

Everyday conversation between a husband and wife is often:

Wife: Did you get milk?
Husband: I didn't know I had to.
Wife: (sighs and rolls eyes)

But think back to the long conversations you used to have when you first started dating. Long nights. With shared intimacies. I bet they don't really happen anymore. Why? Those were great days. Problem is we know each other's stories. You don't want to hear them again and again. So how do we bridge the gap between what our communication was and what it has become?

So, in this episode of Pat and Mary Save Their Marriage we look at one of the greatest communicating couples of all time, John and Abigail Adams. We know this because they left their letters behind. Letters. Wasn't it nice when we wrote letters? Since we can't go backwards, Pat and I learn a lesson about how to make our modern communication count!

3 comments:

  1. LOL! Very clever! I love the part when Pat pays for the 3 Musketeers and there is s Stop Diabetes pamphlet at the checkout. Coincidence?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I return to you...but on the local. Were sweeter words ever spoken? Adorable! But you need a new costumer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eileen, if you're referring to the fact that it's obviously a Ben Franklin wig, when I'm supposed to be John Adams - I say only that there was no wig used at all, and that is actually the shape of my head.
    -Pat

    ReplyDelete